My thoughts, my emotions, my feelings, my imaginations, my opinions, my fears, my dreams...

Could be yours too...you never know!!!


Follow me in this Journey of Revelation and encourage me with your valuable opinions and comments...

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Good Afternoon, May I Help you...

Have you ever gone through embarassment just due to your over confidence? Have you felt as if you were being peeled out from some core into the open space??I am sure,atleast once in your life time, you would have gone through one such instance...and they would be always unforgettable...For me, there's one such instance from the pages of my life too which would be always memorable.Fortunately, I was not the main character of that SHOW...

This happened during my college days. For my graduation, as part of Project submission we were to work in any Company in Customer Service role. I, along with four of my friends joined one of the leading Group in the city. We were rostered to work on different departments as days passed. One such department was the Motor Vehicle Showroom which was quite coool place to work due to its hi-fi infrastructure and the exposure we got in CUstomer Service (which would help us beautify our Projects in the best possible way).

This showroom's incharge was the Sales Manager, Mr.Ray Kurian, who was very strict in nature and expected very proffessional behaviour from the staffs. When he was around, it was like all of us were standing on fire. He had a seperate office covered with Glass walls. Naturally, this made us extra consious of what we were doing and made sure we were not fooling around. Now, about the showroom : 'It was just few weeks earlier that the gearless scotter Honda Activa came to market and therefore, there was a high demand for the vehicle. But, due to non availability of the vehicle, we could only do booking and despatch was done only one "First come First Serve" basis..We, the so called staffs, were given very clear briefing and was instructed sternly that "NO ONE WILL GET THE SCOOTER OUT OF THE WAY"..means NO recommendations, NO bribing, NO emergency basis...nothing doing...What so ever happen, you will get your scooter only according to your booking number." ... Apart from this IMPORTANT thing to remember, rest we had to always keep in mind all the Golden Rules of Customer Service (like 'have a good posture', 'greet, smile while handling customers' etc etc).

Here, let me initial my friend as Miss. R. I and R was on D-day, rostered to be at the showroom and assist walk-in customers with all sort of queries they had. The morning was very hectic, as the showroom was filled with customers and the staffs had handful to take care of...We, the On-job trainees, were feeling proud that we were getting to work independently and so was busy giving 100% Customer Service to every single person who came in front of us. By afternoon, the showroom became almost vacant due heavy rain outside. I and R, tired of the heavy work proceeded towards the reception area. I released the Receptionist for her lunch and R sat in front of me, both of us easing down...

Suddenly, the phone rang. I picked up the phone and remembering the Golden Rules of answering a telephone call started talking:

Me: Good Afternoon, M Motors. May I Help You?
Customer:Ok, I want to buy a Honda Active
Me: Sure Sir, Can I have your name?
C: My name? For what???When can I get the scooter?
Me: Sure Sir. I can give you all information. But could you please give your name so that I can keep records of your query.
C: Oh, I am Thomas. I need Blue Colour. What're the documents you require?

(Gosh! three questions to answer. from where should I start...help me..especially because Mr. Ray Kurian is in the office. and I don't want to flop it up)

Me: Sure Mr. Thomas. We have five different colours of the model. But unfortunately, you will get the scooter only on booking basis. As per the present situation, we cannot promise you the scooter before 2 months.
C: WHATTTT? No way...I need it in one week.
Me: Oh, sorry sir. That wouldn't be possible. It's strict policy of the company. We can't jump the booking priority at any cost.
C: (a bit softly) I can pay extra for that
Me: Sorry Sir, It's not possible
C: I can ask one of the Ministers to recommend.
Me: Really Sir, I would love to help you. But this is not possible. I can make a booking for you and try to get it for you as soon as possible, but I can't promise you anything. It will depend upon how soon we get the scooters and the number of cancellations. But can't ever jump the priority.

(Till then, R was sitting in front of me facing me...She was showing me faces as if to ask me Who was it on the phone...)

C: Uhmmm...Ok then...Good...Give the phone to the lady sitting in front of you...
Me: Excuse me...?? What???
C: Give the phone to the lady sitting in front of you...I am Ray Kurian...
Me: (shocked) What..? (I looked to my side and saw him sitting at one of the chairs and he signalled me not to say anything and give the phone to R)...OK...

I gave the phone to R

Me: Answer the phone and handle the customer,I couldn't convince him, fast.
R: (covering the mouthpiece of the phone) Who is this?
Me: Some Customer...talk fast..talk carefully...

I tried alerting her with my facial expression..I winked at her and pointed my eyes to the direction Ray was sitting. Unfortunately, she mistook my alerting her as fun...She thought it was some friend calling to fool her...And _________....(remember, during this whole converstaion R was leaning towards the Reception table resting one of her hand on the table as if she was sleeping on it)

R: Hellloooooooo (as if she was singing)
C: Hello, I want a Honda Activa
R: Sooo??? Who is this??
C: Who are you?
R: Who is this???
C: I am Thomas. I need to know, when is the earliest I can get my scooter
R: Ohhhhhhhhh...Scooterrrrrr...Sure sure..you will get it now.. Come here... I can arrange one now only.

(She was really thinking that one of her friend was pulling a prank on her...)

C: WHAT???The other girl told NO...
R: (now fed up of the prank) So what, I told you, I will give..I will...Now stop joking..Who's this...???

(Between, I tried stopping her...and once I knew, she was in no mood to understand what I was trying to say..I stopped...and then enjoyed the conversation. I was trying hard to hold on to my laugh, imagining her face when she realise it is Ray Kurian.)

C: So, you think I am joking?? Ok...I am Ray Kurian.
R: Ahaaaaa...Now you are not Thomas. You are Ray Kurian.. Wonderful..haha!!!
C: I am Ray Kurian. Come to my office....
R: (sarcastically) OHHHHH Ray Kurian...HOW R UUU...

At this point, I intervened. I told her that it was indeed Ray Kurian and he's sitting at the other end...

You should have seen R's face.. All pale and white in colour...and shivering....

R: Oh, Sorry Sir..Sorry...I thought...I meant...I didn't mean to...
Ray: Miss. R, come to my office. I need to talk to you...

and the call ended

She was almost at verges of tears fearing that Mr. Kurian might blast her now for the silly behaviour...especially at the reception. I advised her to apologise for the mistake and try explaining the reason for her behaviour. (frankly, if it was me in her place, I would have eloped from the place long back..lol!)

Anyways, things went fine...She went and before he could say anything, she apologised and told him, that she thought it was some friends...Especially, because, I was already on phone for some time, she just thought so...and so on....Finally Ray said,"It's fine...But such situations could come in real life.. Even if it is your friend, don't behave so till you confirm it is your friend indeed..."...etc etc...

I am sure, R wouldn't have heard the full conversation as she was blank with embarassment and fear...She still get the shiver of her life remembering the embarassment she went through at that moment when on the phone she heard...

"I am Ray Kurian. Come to my office..."

0 comments: